Monday, August 6, 2012

Buttery Peas with Thyme

I made this a few months ago and really loved it.  Since I just inherited several billions of pounds of peas from my mom's garden (is there anything better than peas fresh from the garden??) I decided to make it again for our neighborhood's barbeque tonight.  And then I realized I don't have this on my blog yet.  Doh.  So here it is.  It's from Mel's, of course.


Buttery Peas with Thyme


INGREDIENTS:
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup yellow onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 medium onion)
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 medium garlic cloves, finely minced
3 cups frozen peas
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (or 1 teaspoon fresh)
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS:
In a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and add the onion, sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook until the onion is softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

Stir in the peas and thyme and cook, stirring often, until the peas are just heated through, about 3 minutes. Season with black pepper (and additional salt if desired) and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment