Friday, December 27, 2013
I got this from Better Homes and Gardens, and it's fantastic. These cookies stay really moist and chewy.
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup sugar
3 Tbsp. peeled and grated fresh ginger
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 cup extra sugar
1. Position oven racks in upper and lower thirds of oven. Preheat oven to 350.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, ground ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and salt; set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together melted butter, molasses, brown sugar, granulated sugar, grated ginger, and egg. Add flour mixture. Stir to combine. Cover and chill 1 hour.
4. Place extra 1/2 cup sugar in a small, shallow bowl. Using a tablespoon, scoop out a ball of dough. Roll dough between your palms into a ball. Continue with remaining dough, then roll balls in sugar to evenly coat. Space balls on baking sheets, 2 inches apart.
5. Bake 10-12 minutes. Switch baking sheets between racks and rotate them front to back halfway through. Remove from oven. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool.