Sunday, October 30, 2011

Baked Chicken Taquitos


I got this recipe (and this photo) from Mel - I love her stuff.

A neat story about these taquitos. I was planning to make them on Thursday night last week, and I decided to make a quadruple batch. Our ward was having its trunk-or-treat that night, and our tradition is that each trunk gives kids candy, but accompanying adults yummy finger food. It's a great tradition. So I cooked zillions of these taquitos, and my husband put my son's vampire makeup on, we got the kids all dressed up, etc. As we were walking over to the trunk-or-treat, several people were leaving. I was like, "Why are you leaving? Didn't it just start??"

"Uh, no, it just ended. We're going home. You must have written down the wrong time."

Ughhhhhhhhhhhh. I was so mad.

Ben's not mad, because now he has ten zillion of these taquitos to eat, and he loves them so very, very, very much. To him, it was a win-win situation. I didn't feel the same. I went and lay in my bed for half an hour, seething at myself that I had written down the wrong time and not double-checked it. And my kids were bitterly disappointed. Lesson learned - always double-check the time with someone else.

Without further ado, here's the recipe:

Baked Chicken Taquitos

6 oz. cream cheese
1/2 cup green salsa
2 T lime juice
1 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
6 T. chopped cilantro
4 T. sliced green onions
4 cups shredded, cooked chicken
2 cups grated pepperjack or monterey jack cheese
26 small corn tortillas
salt and cooking spray

Heat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly coat with cooking spray. Soften cream cheese. Add green salsa, lime juice, cumin, chili powder, onion powder, and garlic powder. Stir. Add cilantro and green onions. Add chicken and cheese and combine well. Place 2 Tbsp of chicken mixture in each tortilla. Important - if the tortillas start cracking, heat the tortillas in the microwave by placing them between damp paper towels for 20 - 30 seconds. Place seam side down on baking sheet. Spray tops lightly with cooking spray and sprinkle some salt on top. Bake 20 minutes. Makes 26 taquitos.

* Note - the reason you don't have one of my super-amazing pictures (I'm saying that facetiously) is because I didn't have time to microwave my tortillas one at a time that night. And they were cracking horribly. So mine weren't pretty at ALL, but dang, were they good.

No comments:

Post a Comment