Monday, October 17, 2011

Cranberry Set Salad


Can you tell I'm in a cranberry mood? They're in season, so I'm going nuts!

This is a variation of waldorf salad. I got this recipe from my mother-in-law, Gloria. She's the cutest.

And dude, I made this today, and I just barely realized that I didn't use enough jello. I wondered why it wasn't terribly firm! It was firm enough, but just...kind of loosey goosey. And now I know why. I used a small jello packet instead of a large one. Doh!!

Cranberry Set Salad

1 lg. pkg. (6 oz.) cherry jello
2 cups hot water
2 cups chipped ice (or 4-6 large ice cubes)

Combine gelatin and hot water; stir until gelatin is completely dissolved. Cool with ice. Chill. When partially set, add:

1 can (16 oz.) jellied cranberry sauce
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup sugar

Whip cranberry mixture until smooth and add:

1 large apple, diced
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1 small can crushed pineapple (do not drain)

Chill until set. Serve on lettuce leaf (I didn't do this, because my kids hate lettuce - it's a waste. But it would look really pretty if you were serving this to adults) and topped with whipped cream, if desired. Makes 10 - 12 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment