Saturday, October 15, 2011

German Pancakes


We had this all the time when I was growing up - my youngest sister called it "The Big Yellow Stuff," a name my kids now call it. It's soooooooooo easy to make.

My mom used to serve it with a choice of applesauce or jam, and whipped topping on top. I prefer canned fruit pie filling, but in a pinch, I'll use applesauce or jam. It's a good way to use up jam, especially if you're like me, and everyone and their dog gives you jam. I must have a sign on my forehead that says, "Please give me some jam." I've gotten three jars just since I've been home from some sweet elderly neighbors, and I expect to get six or seven more jars when my grandpa returns from wintering down south in the spring. He always keeps himself busy making all kinds of jam - cactus, pomegranate... Old people are cute.

German Pancakes

6 T. butter
6 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Put butter in a 9X13 pan and melt it in the oven. Mix other ingredients and pour into pan on top of butter. Don't stir it in - just pour it right on top. The butter serves as a barrier between the batter and the pan. Cook for 20 minutes. When you pull it out, don't be alarmed - it will be huge, curling up toward the top of the oven:

But then it falls gradually as it cools.

We eat this whole 9X13 pan's worth of pancakes in one sitting. We are little piggies. Ziggy, Piggy! Ziggy, Piggy! Oinkoinkoinkoink!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment