Saturday, October 15, 2011

Joan's Rolls


I got this recipe from my dear childhood friend's mom, Joan. They are incredible, and really, quite easy. When we have family get-togethers, I'm usually asked to bring one of two things - a salad, or Joan's rolls. I actually baked a batch of rolls for my youngest sis for her birthday a couple of years ago, per her request. :) They're fantastic. I made these tonight, and while I was unpacking my suitcases from China (finally), my dang three-year-old ate FIVE of them. The little stinker.

Joan's Rolls/Bread


Rolls:

Dissolve 2 pkg. yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. (Add 1/4 t. sugar to make it go faster.) Put in a blender: 2 c. warm water, 1 block margarine, 1/2 c. sugar, 2 t. salt, and 2 eggs. Blend for 1 1/2 minutes. Add yeast mixture and blend. In a very large bowl, have 7 cups of flour ready. Pour blender mixture into flour. Stir with big wooden spoon. Cover with cloth and let rise until double in size (1 1/2 hours or so). Split dough in half. With each half, roll out flat and cut pizza-style. Roll them up big end first. Put on pan that has been sprayed with Pam and let rise again until desired size (about 1/2 hour). Bake at 400 degrees for 12 minutes.

Bread (I love the taste of Joan's rolls, so I did some experimenting to make them into bread):

After the dough has risen to double its size in the bowl, punch down and shape into three loaves. Put them into three greased loaf pans, and let them rise until desired size. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 mins. Cover with foil after the first 10 mins so they don't get too brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment