Monday, October 31, 2011

Char-Broiled Brisket with Mopping Sauce


I should have sliced this up nicely for the picture, but you know how it is when it's dinner time - busy, busy, busy. So you get the slab in a picture instead.

Kay. So this recipe is supposed to be a grilling recipe, but I decided to tweak it a little bit for my crock pot. So I'm going to put the original grilling recipe below, but then I'll make a note of the changes I made for crock pot cooking.

Char-Broiled Brisket with Mopping Sauce

Serves 8

6 pounds beef brisket, flat cut, trimmed of fat
2 quarts of water
2 bay leaves
1 tsp. pepper

Mopping Sauce:
1 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. bay leaf, crumbled
1 tsp. chili powder
1 1/2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. Tabasco sauce
2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 2/3 cups meat stock from brisket

Place brisket into a large pot and cover 3/4 of the way with water. Add bay leaves and pepper. cover with lid and cook 3 to 4 hours on simmer, adding water if needed. Turn brisket every 30 minutes. When brisket is tender and done, drain off all liquid, reserving 2 2/3 cups for mopping sauce. Prepare mopping sauce by combining all sauce ingredients and mixing together. Place brisket on barbecue at medium heat. Brush with mopping sauce. Turn every 20 minutes and brush with sauce. Cook on grill 30 to 40 minutes. Place brisket on platter and slice into serving slices. Warm the leftover sauce in the microwave and serve it on the side.

* My changes: I only had a 2 1/2 pound brisket. I put it in the crockpot, and then mixed the mopping sauce at the same proportions as above, but instead of meat stock (which you need to boil a brisket to get), I substituted 2 cans of beef broth. Then I poured it over the brisket and let it cook in the crockpot. It turned out really wonderful. With the crock pot, you don't need less mopping sauce with a smaller brisket, because you need lots of liquid in there with the meat. If you're grilling the 2 pound brisket, I would obviously cut the mopping sauce proportions by two-thirds.

No comments:

Post a Comment