Sunday, October 30, 2011

Carrot Cake


Yes, there are two pieces missing from this cake - Ben and I forgot to take a pic before we wolfed some down last night. :) But look, it looks like a letter C, right? So it's kind of cute. C for Carrot Cake.

My mama gave me the last of her garden carrots, and there are tons of them! So I thought this would be the perfect way to use some up, along with some steamed carrots that I'm planning for dinner tonight.

I got this recipe online like 15 years ago from www.cakerecipe.com. It's fantastic and easy.

Carrot Cake

Ingredients:
3 cups grated carrots
4 eggs
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
2 1/4 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 cup golden raisins
1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
3 oz. cream cheese
1 Tbsp. corn syrup
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Directions:
1. Beat together the eggs, oil, and sugar. Blend mixture for 30 seconds.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. Add the carrots and raisins. Pour egg mixture into dry ingredients, and mix well.
3. Pour batter into well-greased 10 inch tube or bundt pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 60 to 70 minutes. Cool cake on wire rack, and then refrigerate until completely cooled.
4. To make cream cheese glaze: Blend together powdered sugar, cream cheese, corn syrup, and vanilla. Spread over cooled cake.

* Note: I've added 1/4 cup of flour to the original 2 cups of flour in this recipe, because I live at high elevation. I forgot to put the extra 1/4 cup in last night, so the cake fell, as you can see:

So now the 1/4 cup is permanently added to this recipe so I don't forget it again. It still tastes amazing, but it's not so pretty. If you live at low elevation, take away 1/4 cup flour from my recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment