Sunday, October 16, 2011

Breakfast Casserole


Ack! Thanks to my horrible camera skills, this doesn't look as amazing as it tastes. The recipe only calls for 1 Tbsp. of chopped green onion, but my husband was in charge of chopping it, and he went a little hog-wild, because he loves green onions.

The casserole looks gross, but tasted wonderful. But let me tell you, that canteloupe actually did taste HORRIBLE. Canteloupe is officially out of season, folks. Nasssssssssty.

Here it is coming out of the oven:

I got this recipe from Lori L. from my ward growing up. It's fantastic. You use up a lot of bread for it, which can be fun - like, for instance, I hate the heels of bread. So I gleefully put the heels into this, along with any wheat bread I have lying around (I don't really like wheat bread all that much either). Or, if we have leftover buns from hot dogs or hambugers, this is a great way to use those up instead of throwing them out or freezing them and forgetting about them (that's what happens to leftover hot dog buns in my house, unfortunately).

Breakfast Casserole

10 - 12 slices bread
6 eggs
1 large can evaporated milk
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 Tbsp. snipped parsley (optional)
1 Tbsp. chopped green onion
1/2 - 3/4 lb. breakfast sausage, cooked and drained
2 c. shredded cheddar cheese

Cube bread; place in bottom of 9X13 pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Sprinkle cooked sausage and cheese over bread. Beat eggs, milk, soup, parsley, and onion until well-blended. Pour over sausage, cheese, and bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Bake uncovered at 325 degrees for about an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment