Saturday, June 18, 2011

Biscuits and Gravy



When I was in college, the most random thing happened one afternoon. I was in my apartment kitchen, making biscuits just from bisquick. (That was my go-to meal. Biscuits. With apples. Jeez. No wonder I was skinny in college.) This dude from down the hall just comes bursting in. This is a normal kind of thing in college, honestly, so I looked at him (I didn't know him, but I'd seen him around) and said, "Hey, who ya looking for?"

He said, "I'm looking for something to eat."

An awkward pause.

"Um, well, if you want, you can have some biscuit dough."

"You make biscuits??"

"Well, yeah."

"You're the Biscuit Maker. The Biscuit Makerrrrrrrrrrrrrr."

He opened up a few cupboards, looked around, saw that they were all bare (we were in college, remember), shrugged, and left.

It was really weird. I still think that to myself when I'm making biscuits, though. "You're the Biscuit Makerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr."

Biscuits and Gravy is another of my utmost favorite breakfasts. Though I really, really need to get a good homemade biscuit recipe. Most of the time, I'm too lazy (It's morning, after all. I don't do well in the morning) to do more than make the sauce, so I pull out the ole' Bisquick.

My hubby prefers the "gravy" to actually be white sauce. If you want to make it more gravy-like, here are the directions on how to make gravy.

Biscuits and Gravy

Get out the ole' Bisquick and make some biscuits. Or go to KFC the night before and pay for some. (I've done this before and I've never, ever regretted it. I heart KFC biscuits.) Or find a good biscuit recipe. And for heaven's sake, tell me about it.

Next, cook your breakfast sausage. Not link sausage. I'm talking the ground kind that looks like ground beef. But it's pork. Break it up and cook it until it's nice and brown and done.

Last, either use the drippings from your sausage cook-fest to make gravy (the link for gravy is up above). Orrrrr, make a white sauce and add the sausage to it. Here's my white sauce recipe:

Melt 4 Tbsp. butter in a saucepan. Add 4 Tbsp. flour, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 2 cups milk. Cook and stir on medium heat until it thickens.

Throw the sausage in the white sauce and you're done.

No comments:

Post a Comment