Monday, June 27, 2011

Gingersnaps



I got this recipe from another college roommate, Holli. They're perfect for the fall or winter. Something about gingerbread evokes colder weather for me.

Whenever I think of molasses, I think of this joke I heard once:

There was a mamma mole, a papa mole, and a baby mole. They lived in a hole outside of a farm house out in the country.

One morning, the papa mole reached his head out of the hole and said, "Mmmmm, I smell sausage."

The mama mole reached her head outside of the hole and said, "Mmmmm, I smell pancakes."

As the baby mole repeatedly tried to stick his head out of the hole to get a whiff, he became frustrated because the two bigger moles were in the way.

Unable to take it any longer, the baby mole mumbled, "The only thing I can smell is molasses."

Wa, wa, waaaaaaa.


Gingersnaps

3/4 c. butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup molasses
2 cups flour
1 T ginger, ground
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
sugar

Cream butter and 1 cup sugar until light. Add egg and molasses; beat well. Combine flour, spices, salt, and soda; add to creamed mixture, blending well. Shape into small balls and roll in sugar. Bake at 325 for 8-12 minutes. Makes 2-3 doz. cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment