Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Lemon Lentil Salad



Whenever I think of the word, "lentil," I think of Yentl:
Just putting that out there for ya.

This is another recipe I got from my Relief Society president. Beans are so good for you - I'm always trying to find non-chili ways to use them. I mean, I love a good chili, but not when it's ninety degrees outside, you know?

I think this recipe would be a good substitute for a pasta salad - it still has that chewiness of a pasta salad, and it tastes fresh and cool like one. You cook this with a bay leaf, and in my opinion, bay leaves make EVERYTHING taste better.

I made this a couple of weeks ago, and with the fresh thyme from my garden, it was tres bon. A perfect summer salad.

Lemon Lentil Salad

4 T. olive oil
1 T. lemon juice
2 tsp. red wine vinegar
2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. dijon mustard
1/2 t. dried or fresh thyme
1/4 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1 clove garlic, minced

Combine and set aside.

In medium saucepan, bring 3 cups water to boil. Add 1 cup lentils, 1 bay leaf. Simmer uncovered 30 minutes, let stand for 30 minutes, pour off excess water, and discard bay leaf.

Add:
1 large tomato, diced
1/2 c. parsley, chopped
2 green onions, sliced

Serve warm or chilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment